Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My friend, How do I make you SMILE?

In the course of the journey of my short life, i have earned lot of friends. A LOT. And almost on a daily basis, i have my friends who come to me and vent out all their woes. Almost on a daily basis, my friends ping me about relationship issues either with parents or friends or fiances or the most dreaded of the lot 'in-laws'.The agony-aunt who is hiding within me surfaces at such times.I take enormous pride on being a support system for my friends. For standing by them and supporting them in times of their need gives me immense satisfaction. At times like these,i feel the purpose of being born, the purpose of my existence has a meaning. Giving them a patient hearing, giving them my empathy and maybe give them some positive energy and some positive hopeful words.Sometimes just a hug.A pat. A reassuring squeeze of the hand. These really do work wonders!

Sometimes, sitting in solitude, when i think of them,I get depressed, and even cry for them who are sad and are leading difficult lives. Then i realized, being too empathetic, i had started drawing parallels with my life. I started imagining these problems with myself and made my own life a mess. It took time to realize what a blunder it was! It took time, to realize that all of us are different from one another and all of us have a 'different' set of problems.With time i have made my peace with the fact that i cannot change things for people who are close to my heart. I cannot take away their pain from them. All i can do is give them a patient hearing. Give a pep talk and make them feel a little better. Remind them that there are people worse than them. Give them hope for a better tomorrow. Motivate them to change and BE the change they are looking for.I feel, more than this, i really cannot do more!

But...I wish, Oh how i wish i can change things and make all my friends a happy and a smiling bunch of people!

I am beginning to believe that, whatever happens in life, happens for good. There is a supreme being.He has a plan for each one of us. All we need to do, is to keep faith. Whatever problems we have today, either they will reduce in size or be gone forever tomorrow.Quoting my all-time favorite quote, "For tomorrow is yet another day"-Gone With the Wind-Margrett Mitchele.

Here's to all of you sitting in various parts of the world, reading this, I sincerely, from the bottom most tip of my heart , Wish you a happy, healthy and a wonderful wonderful life.

6 comments:

cyril said...

touching!!!

(¯`•._.•[Raaji]•._.•´¯) said...

nope, it is not our job to always change their lives. we could do it but only if situation allows. But there is so much that we can do. dont think it is your responsibility. most things, people have to learn on their own.
the best thing you can do for others is to provide support and be the listner that they need :-)

Vasumathi Sridharan said...

@cyril. thanks.

@Raaji, agreed, but it is a helpless feeling to quietly watch them suffer :( and i looove your blog. A few posts made me cry :-)

Ranjani said...

neat entry!... people learn on their own Vachoo... dont get too carried away by emotions, they will start to rule u!

Archana Achuthan said...

So u counsel people sooper!! but do not think of their problems as ur own!! it is not good!! All u can do is lend a helping hand!! :) Nice post!!

Revanth said...

This post shows the humane side in you Akka! I dunno what people think, but i feel most cancerians are this way! They think more about the world and a little for themselves. This concept of "Caring" is something which all are not blessed with. But world is too bad a place for wonderful souls like you :)

be the way you are, the world will respect you more and more :)
Loads of love
-Rev